Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Where are we and how did we get here?

Y'all I am in awe of the incredible response to our news! I think I expected our families and my "people" to encourage us, but I had no idea the outpouring of love we would receive from so many others. So THANK YOU!

I had several of you ask where we are in the process and how we got here so let me bring you up to speed.

In the fall of 2014 E and I started tossing around the idea of another baby. And by that I mean I told him I wanted one and he was thinking the exact opposite. Neat. It was a tough place to sit as my momma heart ached for a baby I did not know, but I love my husband and I trust God. So when we decided 2015 would not be the year we'd expand our family, although I was super sad, I had to rest in Him knowing the Lord had a different plan.

It wasn't long after that decision - I mean like a few days - that God put adoption on my heart. He's cool like that. Closes one door and then opens another. It is not always super quick, but He always shows up. It was nearly 4 months of WRESTLING with the Lord over this calling before I ever said anything to E. I like to live the comfortable life and there was NOTHING about adoption that was comfortable. Not to mention the fact that just a few days earlier we had said no to expanding our family so E would never roll with it.

I put God in a box and refused to let myself see just how BIG He is.

One of my favorite verses is Ephesians 3:20 which says, and I'm paraphrasing, that God can do immeasurably more than we can even imagine. I love that. My mind can't even imagine how much my God is capable of. So awesome.

When I finally said something about adoption to E at the end of January, I was laying flat on my back in bed trying to go to sleep when I felt my heart nearly beat out of my chest. I know that was the Holy Spirit prompting me to get this party started. All I could get out was "Have you ever thought about adoption?" and he said no but he'd pray about it and that was it. We had and continue to have several conversations after that initial chat, but that moment was a game changer.

I am fortunate to do life with several adoptive mommas {His provision in that just makes me stand in awe} who I absolutely ADORE and I reached out to my sweet friend Emily as I knew I needed to process with someone other than E who knew our family and loved me enough to be real. Real with the process, the good, the hard, all of it. Y'all everyone needs an Emily. She has been all in with us from the beginning answering ALL THE QUESTIONS. All of 'em. And I have a lot. She shares in my excitement and tells me I'm normal when I text her saying I'm about to throw up over the crazy that is this journey. She loves me so well.

Total tangent. I'm back now.

Sometime in the processing, after prayer and research on countries open for international adoption, I landed on Haiti and I told E our son would be born there so when he got to that point with God to just let me know. I should take this moment to say I married a saint. He just takes all my crazy and blunt statements and loves me.

He got there and we were able to share with our families who were super supportive and our "people" who were also so encouraging. God, in his grace, just keeps showing us that we are walking in His will and we will just keep walking this way until He leads us somewhere else. We mailed off our application Monday so this is completely real.

So to sum this up, I love Jesus, He wrecked my heart for orphans and we will someday have a sweet Haitian born babe to call our son.

God is so cool.







No comments